Friday, September 4, 2009

Business

I went to a talk today on business etiquette. Most of it was what I already knew or should know (chew with your mouth closed, write thank yous, don't cut people off while driving or talking). But I picked up a few interesting phrases, the theory of each is that it makes the other person feel better, which is, of course, the whole point of etiquette.

One was to sign emails, "At your service,"

I think that's a rather gracious way of closing.

Another was to respond to "thank you" with "it's a pleasure" rather than "no problem," which avoids the implication that a client could be a problem.

A third idea was to say "thank you for your patience" instead of "I'm sorry I'm late." This is interesting--the theory is that a customer will just get grumpier if you don't compliment them.

A final idea was instead of saying "okay" all the time, say "certainly," or "very good" or "of course." This is to stand out from the unwashed masses who say "okay" all the time. Of course.

A hopeful sign was the large attendance. Very good.

As always, I am at your service.

1 comment:

  1. Now here's an idea whose time has come. It is a pleasure to be of service to you.
    Mum

    ReplyDelete