Thursday, July 16, 2009

The naming of blogs...and island vacations

I belatedly noticed that the title to this blog was similar to that of a favorite book: Elegance by Genevieve Antoine Dariaux. The similarity wasn't intentional; I had meant to name this blog "Toodle-pip" after Bertie Wooster. But that name was taken and this is what I thought of next.

Elegance is a 1964 book that I purchased for $12.15 in an antiques store in Pasadena many years ago. That was the discount price. Alphabetically, from Accessories to Zoology, it provides "A complete guide for every woman who wants to be well and properly dressed on all occasions." I've seen a reprint on Amazon.com, which is apparently updated, although I find the vintage-ness particularly charming.

A favorite entry, just in time for my seaside vacation next week is found under Yachting. In part it states: "Now is your chance to show everyone that you are not afraid to be seen without make-up, that you never leave a trail of disorder in your wake, that you have a wonderfully even disposition, and that your elegance is based on utter simplicity. If this be the case (and if you are not subject to seasickness and know how to swim), you will surely have the most wonderful time of your life."

No comments:

Post a Comment